*This post contains an affiliate link(s). If you make a purchase, I receive a percentage at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!

1st Time Mom: Labor and Delivery Story

I started contractions when I was 40 weeks and 2 days. The contractions woke me up at midnight. I thought I was just having abdominal cramping because we had eaten sausage pizza for supper that night. 🙂 But then the cramping came again 3 more times in less than 20 minutes.

I got out of bed and started timing them. The cramps lasted about 60-90 seconds and occurred every 3-5 minutes. Yep, I was having contractions!

I called the nurse to let her know, and she told me to drink 3-4 glasses of water in case I was dehydrated. I got 2 glasses down, felt awful, and said, “Forget this. We’re going to the hospital!”

We arrived at the hospital at 2 AM. Which is where I threw up the sausage pizza all over the front desk! Thanks to chugging down all of that water.

After I was situated in my delivery room, the nurse said I was 4-5 cm dilated. Next was the epidural. I’m so glad I got the epidural. The contractions had reached an almost unbearable pain by that time, which made both me and my husband on edge.

By 3:15 AM the epidural had taken effect, and I was able to relax. Then we waited for the doctor to arrive, which was 5 hours later! All I wanted to do was sleep, but there was too much excitement.

When the doctor arrived around 8:30, my water broke, and I was 9 cm dilated.

The nurse and doctor monitored me on their computers outside the room for a little while. Then the nurse had me do a couple of practice pushes at 9:15. My husband was planning on staying by my head the entire time, but the nurse said, “Okay, Dad, grab her other leg.” So he got involved right in the middle of it all!

While I was pushing, the baby’s heart rate was going down. the doctor and nurse continued to monitor the baby for another 30 minutes. Every time I had a contraction, his heart rate would go down and return to normal between the contractions. We later realized this was caused because his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and the contractions caused extra pressure.

I continued pushing with just my husband and the nurse for about an hour. That seemed like forever.  Around 10:45 the doctor came in to finish the delivery. When I only had about 3-4 pushes left, I started to feel exhausted. I kept telling myself, “Just do this.” Before I knew it, the baby had arrived!

He was born at 11:16 AM.

It was one of the scariest, yet fulfilling things I had ever done. I’m so thankful that I was given the gift of giving birth to my son. And I’m so thankful that the Lord kept us both safe and healthy.

See all the posts in my 31 Days “First Time Mom”
series here.