Last week we celebrated Caleb’s first birthday. It was the first big party that we had in our home, and I had a lot of fun getting ready for it.
Let me start out by saying that not everything went as I had planned…
- I never got around to creating a birthday wreath for the front door.
- The finger prints on the sliding glass doors in the dining room didn’t get cleaned.
- A slideshow of pictures from Caleb’s first year wouldn’t work at the last minute.
- It was a cloudy day, and we ended up with some fuzzy pictures.
But it was still a perfect party because…
- We were surrounded by family.
- My parents and older brother were able to Facetime during the smash-cake.
- Caleb was loved on by everyone.
- We celebrated our gift from God.
- The cake was delicious! 😉
I had told myself that morning that if I didn’t finish everything on my to-do list or if something didn’t go the way I had planned, I would just take a deep breathe and move on. So that is what I did. According to my plans, our party was imperfect. But it truly was perfect because I got to celebrate my little family of 3!
I used royal blue for the main color with some red, yellow, and white accents. The balloons on his high chair were purchased at the local grocery store for $4.
I used some of my teacher skills to draw the cookies and Cookie Monster faces. Then I used artist chalk (leftover from teaching) to color them in. The Happy Birthday banner was made out of scrapbook paper that I bought when it was on sale at Micheal’s for 7 sheets of paper for $1.
Since Caleb is allergic to eggs, I made him an egg less smash-cake. He seemed to enjoy it!
I am not very skilled when it comes to cake decorating so we bought the big cake from Sam’s Club and served it with ice cream and drinks. Sam’s has delicious cakes. We love their butter cream icing.
Caleb was so worn out by the end of the party. He fell asleep on my husband’s lap while the last of family left. He woke up for a little while and then fell back to sleep on my lap! There was just so much to take in and he hadn’t been feeling the greatest the week before. In fact, he and I were up for most of the night before the party because he had been battling a rash that was caused from an ear infection earlier in the week. We almost canceled it, since he wasn’t exactly himself, but decided that we had better just have the party. I’m so glad we did!