When my one year old started eating table food, I worried, “Would he like eating vegetables? Did he eat enough?”
For breakfast, I keep it super simple because A) I’m still half asleep and B) My one year old is a raging beast until he has food in his mouth!
- baked bread
- Pasta (spaghetti, mac n’ cheese)
- potato (mashed, baked, roasted, boiled)
- grilled cheese
- mandarin oranges
- grapes (cut into ¼ pieces)
- green beans
- peas (canned)
- cauliflower (frozen)
- sweet potato
- squash (roasted)
- cooked and shredded meat
- lunch meat
- chicken nuggets/tenders
Supper is pretty similar to lunch. I choose 3-4 foods. He mostly eats what we eat, but sometimes I make something different for him if I know he won’t like the meal we are having.
|meatballs, pear, peas|
|chicken tender, half an orange, peas|
- Use soft fruits and veggies that are in season and on sale.
- An alternative to fresh veggies is canned and frozen. These are very easy to prepare, and you can purchase unsalted canned vegetables to save on sodium. Likewise, canned fruit and applesauce are easy alternatives to fresh fruit. You can buy fruit in its juice with no sugar added.
- Fresh veggies that aren’t soft like broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, and carrots are great roasted or steamed.
- For soft meat, you can cut up slices of lunch meat. However, I like to limit these since it has so much sodium in it. As an alternative to lunch meat, I like to cook whole chickens, pork roast, and turkey in my crock-pot, shred the meat, and divide it into pint size freezer bags, and store in the freezer.
- If your child doesn’t like a food the first time he tries it, don’t give up! Try it a few days or weeks later. It may take several times before they decided that they like it. It took about 4-5 tries before my son started liking carrots and broccoli. It also took him FOUR months before he decided that his sippy cup was not a toy but rather something to drink out of! Don’t give up!
- These divided plates* are the perfect size for one year old meals. They are durable and the right size for portions!
- When we go out to eat, we don’t like to put his food on the table so we use this reusable place mat*. It is easy to wipe off at the restaurant and then wash clean at home.
Other Posts You May Enjoy: