I’ve been participating in the Love Your Home Challenge during the month of March. Melissa Michaels first shared this challenge in her book Love the Home You Have. While I have enjoyed participating in it, last week was a struggle for me. We are still trying to get into a new schedule with the time change.
I know. I know. It’s been over two weeks!
But my son just doesn’t want to go to bed when it is still day light out, and it has been difficult to adjust to my husband’s crazy work schedule. So I cut myself some slack and did not complete all of the tasks from last week. You can read the tasks for each day below. I did not do Day 23 or Day 27 because they just weren’t practical for me.
In today’s post, I’ll share my thoughts for Days 22, 25, and 28. Later this week I’ll refer to Day 24 and share my secret for keeping a clutter free handbag!
Day 22: 20 Things I Love About my Home During This Season of My Life
1. I love the giant window in the living room that lets in a lot of sunlight!
2. There is panel wall in our dining room that I think adds some character.
3. We have a dishwasher. Growing up, my parents did not have a dishwasher and there was not one in our previous home. I love having one now!
4. We have a water dispenser on the fridge. I have no excuse for not drinking enough water. 🙂
5. Our yard is fenced in which is perfect now that my son is on the go!
6. Our yard is shady and so nice to enjoy in the evenings.
7. We are close to church.
8. We are close to my husband’s workplace.
9. It is easy to get to stores and restaurants. They are just down the road and super convenient.
10. We have a pantry!
11. We have a linen closet which is something that we did not have in our previous home. It is great having a closet specifically for towels, sheets, paper goods, and toiletries. Check out how I organized my linen closet for free!
12. Our laundry room is indoors. Many of the older homes in Florida have laundry rooms that are not attached to the house.
13. The bathroom is updated even though we live in a home that was built in the 1960’s.
14. We have laminate floors in the main living areas that are so much easier to keep clean than the carpet in our previous home.
15. We have a half master bath which means I only have 1 bathtub to clean!
16. I have my own desk area.
17. We have great neighbors.
18. There is an awning over the front door which is wonderful when it is raining!
19. We have a coat closet that I can keep the vacuum, mop, and brooms along with several other things that needed to be stored away.
20. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are all open so I can see my family even while working in the kitchen.
Day 25: Living Room Wish List
I have been working on lightening and brightening our living room for the last couple of months, but there are several things that I would still like to change. Writing it all down helped me focus on changes that I can make.
- A lighter colored rug
- Lamp for corner table
- Smaller entertainment center (this one isn’t going to happen anytime soon.)
- Updated throw pillows
- Paint wall above the loveseat (I recently patched up some nails holes that were left from my gallery wall and now I need to paint over them.)
- Paint shelf above window
- Replace couch with two arm chairs (this is an expensive one, that will take some time and some convincing of the husband!)
Day 28: Your Color Personality
I have tried incorporating several colors in my home throughout the years and later realized that I did not like them. On our honeymoon, I bought a picture with a green frame, and then I bought green curtains and a green lampshade to match. I really don’t like green, but I felt like I had to match that picture frame. I have lived with those green curtains for years even though I don’t like them! This challenge has helped me realize that it is time to start weeding out the large batches of green throughout my home.
At Christmas time, I love all of the red in my home, but after I take down all of the Christmas decor there is no more red in the main living areas. I have little touches of red in the bedrooms that I like. So I have started adding little bits of red here and there in my kitchen and dining room. I would love to find a pillow similar to this one or this one to add to our living room and some plates like these to add to our dining room wall.
There are only a few days left in the challenge. Be sure to stop back later this week when I share my secret to keeping my purse clutter free!
All of the week’s challenges from Melissa:
Day 22 – Twenty Little Things: Today, make a list of 20 little things you love about this season of your life in your home. Display the list in your home or put it in your home notebook. Add to it throughout the day when you think of something else that sparks a sense of gratitude! I dare you to stop at 20 things you love!
Day 23 – Happy Surprises: Add a little joy to your day by lining the dresser or desk drawer you use most often with spring-inspired scrapbook paper or pretty wrapping paper. You’ll be delighted every time you open it!
Day 24 – Your Handbag: The state of your purse can impact your daily tasks! Today, do a little spring cleaning of your handbag. Toss out any gum wrappers or unnecessary items. Organize makeup and receipts. Add a cute new pocket notebook for jotting down quick notes or ideas!
Day 25 – Living Room Wish List: Do you enjoy spending time in your living room? Start a living room wish list. Do you have all the basics you need? What more could you add or update in this space this spring to make it more comfortable or inviting? Add your list to your home notebook.
Day 26 – Make It Happen: Pick just one project in your home that you can finish completely today or at least make great progress on. You’ll feel refreshed and inspired that you finally made a dent on that nagging project!
*I finally wiped down all of my kitchen cabinets. They were getting grimy, but I had kept putting it off until this day.
Day 27 – Order in the Kitchen: Today we are going to focus on pantry organization. Toss out the old, repackage and label bulk items, wipe off and tidy the shelves. Make your pantry prettier and more orderly!
Day 28 – Your Color Personality: What are your favorite colors? Today, consider how could you incorporate more of the colors you love into your decorating. Could you paint a dresser, add new throw pillows, or start a collection of dessert dishes in your favorite hue? Being surrounded by colors you love can improve your mood and even change the way you feel in your home!
If you haven’t yet, join me on Facebook!