Do you have a dirty washing machine? I did too! It was so dirty and dingy. So I gave it a deep clean. Here’s how to clean a washing machine with vinegar and baking soda and give it a deep clean.
Before we get started, here’s a before picture of my washing machine. I had let it go for a long time. Every time I’d do a load of laundry, I was reminded that I needed to clean it, but then I would forget to clean it. So it had gotten really dirty.
Hopefully it makes you feel good that you aren’t the only one with a dirty washing machine!
But we aren’t going to keep it that way. Let’s get it clean!
How to Clean a Washing Machine with Vinegar
- Start an empty load of washing machine on the hottest and largest setting. Don’t add any clothes.
2. Add 1 cup of vinegar to the load and run the washing machine like usual.
The vinegar will help dissolve dirt and grime that has built up on your machine. If you want to take a step further, you can add a half cup of baking soda and run another load on the highest and hottest setting through your washing machine.
In addition to breaking up dirt and grime, the baking soda will also absorb odors that may be in your washing machine.
Lastly, if your washing machine is as dirty as mine, you’ll want to scrub it down and get the grime cleaned out of the washing machine. Here are a few tips that will help you out!
Extra Tips for Cleaning a Washing Machine.
- Use a toothbrush to clean out the corners of the lid.
2. Use a heavy duty scrub sponge to clean stuck on grime. My all-time favorite is Scotch Brite Scrub sponges.
3. You can pop the top part of the agitator to deep clean it better. I used a flat head screw driver. Once the pieces were off, I soaked them in soapy water to get clean.
4. Use a q-tip to clean little crevices.
After cleaning my washing machine with vinegar and baking soda and then scrubbing all the grime, my washing machine looked so good. Now, I love walking into my laundry room and seeing my sparkling clean washing machine. I even take a quick peek in there just to see how clean it is! Ha!
I hope this helps you get your washing machine in a good cleaning condition and it sparkles too!
Overwhelmed at home? Have a clean house and supper on the table with the free Motivated Homemaker Checklist!
Pin it for later!
If you’re interested in more ways to clean with vinegar, check out these posts.